Optical CT , or Ocular Coherence Tomography Scanner deals with micrometer resolution when performing eye exams. This optical scanner carries out incredibly fine imaging to help us establish how healthy the eyes are. We invest in this technology in line with cutting edge patient management philosophy.
Your Eyes are small , and structures making them up even smaller.To appreciate the micrometer scale of this technology see the video.
Tell me more.
As you may already be aware early disease detection and treatment yields better visual outcome for you. This applies to all fields of medical sciences, not just the eyes.
It begs the question how important are the visual senses to you? Is the public recognizing the benefit of this technology ? Our doctors believe Optical CT should be considered as part of any eye health assessment.
It constitutes cutting edge imaging modality capable of detecting some eye diseases 3-5 years before your vision is affected. Impressive, well, we think so.
(Be aware , unfortunately the medicare system does not recognize or fiscally acknowledge the benefits of these scans, just like years ago MRI scans were considered superfluous, consequently there is an imaging fee applicable to these scans. Ask staff for more details.)
To appreciate the imaging capability of the scanner please view the supplied images. The capability helps our Optometry Doctors differentiate between various pathologies and manage the patients accordingly.
With respect to imaging the back of the eyes , Christopher recommends 4 phase differentiation management algorithm protocols for the practice.These breakdown into 4 categories;
- pathology which can be managed pharmacologically with NSAIDS (inhouse)
- pathology which requires anti vaso- endothelial growth factor inhibitors (anti-veg F ) pharmacological treatment.
- vitero-retinal surgical intervention, or medical laser (specialized surgery )
- pathology requiring general systemic approach ie autoimmune conditions, metabolic disorders, general health management (General Medical Practitioners)
With respect to anterior eye tissue imaging , the management protocols are different. These break down into 2 categories;
- astigmatic conditions involving the cornea which are non herniating ,and some likely inflammatory in pathophysiology. (inhouse management)
- astigmatic conditions which involve the cornea which are likely to be herniating and non-inflammatory in pathophysiology. (inhouse, crosslinking,or investigate further).
With respect to anterior drainage angle imaging;
- occludable drainage angle anatomy (likely to give rise to angle closure glaucoma attack) may require iridotomy. (specialist surgical laser intervention)
- non-occludable drainage angle anatomy (unlikely to give rise to angle closure glaucoma attack) which is not requiring surgical intervention.
Lean into the future , make OCT part of your eye health assessment. Not all OCTs are the same! (available at Balhannah Practice)